Navigating Amazon Delivery Accidents: Your Guide to Seeking Compensation
Last updated Tuesday, September 12th, 2023
Injured in an Amazon Delivery Truck Accident? Let’s Get You Compensated
Did you know that one in five Amazon delivery truck drivers are injured on the job? In fact, their delivery drivers face some of the highest rates of injuries in the delivery industry. And some of those wrecks also involve injuries to other motorists or pedestrians who were just minding their own business.
Clearly, fast delivery is not a guarantee for safe delivery.
You may have seen their trucks branded with the PRIME delivery logo proudly advertising their one-day delivery guarantee. They zip in and out of neighborhoods quickly desperately trying to meet their high daily delivery demand. However, this high-speed hustle makes them vulnerable to making mistakes on the road.
And one mistake is enough to put someone in a hospital bed—or a grave. Truck accidents frequently cause more severe injuries than a passenger car would in the same crash.
These accidents are quickly adding up as Amazon expands its delivery truck fleet every year. The race to secure five-star reviews is leading some drivers to follow questionable and unsafe practices.
Here are some of the most reasons we’ve seen behind Amazon delivery truck accidents:
- The driver was distracted by the Amazon GPS app while navigating to the delivery location
- Rushing to meet a delivery deadline
- Reckless driving in a tired, distracted, or intoxicated state
- Sudden lane changes
- Driver’s lack of experience operating delivery trucks
Consumer satisfaction shouldn’t be used as an excuse to compromise consumer safety. That’s why it’s important to hold Amazon accountable if you’ve been injured in an Amazon delivery truck accident. You deserve to be compensated for your physical, mental, and financial struggles.
You can file a claim against the insurance coverage extended by Amazon to their delivery truck driver.
Wyly & Cook’s experienced team of personal injury lawyers has helped truck accident victims get properly compensated. We’ll start by giving you a FREE case review to evaluate your case and are eager to help you get a fair settlement or your day in court.
Understanding Amazon’s Insurance Coverage for Delivery Drivers
Amazon has consistently tried to escape liability in delivery accident cases. They hire independent contractors and make them sign agreements to assume financial and legal responsibility for all injuries and damages they cause.
However, personal auto insurance won’t cover delivery truck drivers. They need commercial auto insurance coverage, which is provided by Amazon. And all delivery drivers on duty are covered by it. However, you can’t file a claim against this coverage if you get into an accident with a delivery driver who is off duty.
Here’s what Amazon’s commercial auto insurance coverage includes:
- Liability coverage – up to $1 million coverage for injuries and property damages caused to individuals involved in the accident
- Contingent comprehensive and collision coverage – up to $50,000 coverage for any damages to a driver with a personal comprehensive policy
- Uninsured/underinsured driver’s insurance – up to $1 million coverage for Amazon drivers involved in accidents caused by uninsured or underinsured drivers
Although Amazon argues that they’re not directly liable for such accidents, they can’t wash their hands off the problem. Many Amazon truck delivery drivers have stepped forward to expose the high-pressure nature of their job.
Amazon’s navigation system tracks and plots the fastest routes to complete deliveries. It often ends up distracting them, changing the routes, or directing them to an impractical course. They constantly track the driver’s progress and put pressure on their drivers if they’re falling behind schedule. They require 999 out of 1000 deliveries to be completed on time. Naturally, this high-pressure work environment becomes stressful to keep up with.
Essential Steps to Take after an Amazon Accident
You may think surviving a delivery truck accident means the worst is already over. But there’s a lot of room for things to go from bad to worse. You may have a long road to recovery and a lot of damages to pay for. And if you don’t take the right steps before filing an injury claim, you could lose out on the compensation you deserve.
You may even end up struggling to climb out of debt for years after the accident. But, being prepared to take a few simple steps after your accident is all it takes to secure your future.
Here are some essential steps you need to take after getting involved in an Amazon delivery truck accident:
- Find a safe spot – It’s important to get out of the way of incoming traffic on a busy road with high-speed vehicles passing through. Move to the side of the road or a footpath if you’re not heavily injured. It’ll help you prevent further accidents.
- Call 911 – Want to know how to secure the accident scene, get emergency medical evacuation, and get a detailed accident report? The solution is just three digits away. Call the local police authorities and they’ll take care of all these issues in minimal time.
- Take pictures and videos – The accident scene holds the biggest keys to establishing damages and liability. Try to take as many pictures and videos to document the accident scene. It should include evidence of the impact, injuries, witness statements, the driving environment, etc.
- Exchange information with the Amazon delivery truck driver – Collect valuable details from the Amazon truck driver like name, contact details, license plate number, and insurance information. Check if the driver was on duty at the time of the accident or not. It will determine whether you qualify for filing a claim against their personal auto insurance or Amazon’s commercial auto insurance.
- Seek urgent medical attention – Your health should always be your first priority. It’s also the first priority of liable parties to minimize their liability for the damages they caused. Delaying your medical treatment for any reason can open a window for them to escape liability. Get an official medical diagnosis to document all your injuries as soon as possible. Start the recommended treatment right away too. Your compensation amount depends on the severity of your injuries and how seriously you treated them.
- Contact insurance providers – Call your insurance company right after the accident to share basic details about your accident. You don’t need to go into extended details about it. Avoid making any statements discussing liability.
- Hire an experienced truck accident injury lawyer – There’s a long and confusing path between filing a claim to getting your settlement. Insurance companies will do anything to delay, deny, and underpay you. But a knowledgeable lawyer can see through their tricks, take charge of all documentation, and play hardball to negotiate a fair settlement.
Filing a Claim with Amazon’s Insurance Coverage
In addition to filing a claim with the driver’s coverage, you may consider filing your Amazon delivery driver crash claim directly with Amazon. Now, you don’t want to bury yourself in towers of paperwork and waste precious time to build your claim. So it’s important to filter out the information from the noise. You must know what your claim is meant to accomplish. Before filing a claim, you need evidence to prove that:
- You suffered actual physical injuries and property damages from the accident
- Types of damages you have suffered due to the accident
- The delivery drivers or the company they’re involved with showed negligence that led to the accident
- The accident happened while the driver was on duty
- Your damages exceed the delivery driver’s policy coverage
All your documentation should be focused on proving these points. You can contact Amazon’s customer service team to explain the basic accident details. Submit an official complaint detailing the incident. Include valuable details like the police accident report, medical records, visual evidence of the accident, and eyewitness information.
Amazon can take a long time to process your claim and try hard to minimize your compensation. But the more detailed your documentation is, the more likely they are to clear it. You have to file a claim within two years of the date of the accident to qualify for compensation.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer at this stage can help you fast-track your path to a fair settlement.
Amazon will take your claim much more seriously when there’s a lawyer representing you. Your lawyer will work to get you a fair settlement as quickly as possible. And you hopefully won’t need to waste more time taking your case to trial.
But if push comes to shove, they’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf and take the driver and Amazon to court..
The Role of an Attorney in Amazon Delivery Accidents
Amazon is one of the biggest corporations on the planet. Their army of lawyers can easily intimidate or stonewall the average citizen to get their way.
Even if you know what rights have been violated and have the evidence to back it up, they can make the legal process confusing and taxing, hoping that you give up. Insurance adjusters aren’t going to volunteer to protect you either. They are more interested in protecting their corporate profits by minimizing their payouts.
One knowledgeable truck accident injury lawyer by your side is all you need to turn the tables. It’s well known that victims with legal presentation may get 3-4 times more than the unrepresented victims.
You need legal assistance from someone with a proven history of handling Amazon delivery accident claims.
At Wyly & Cook, our team of experienced lawyers has the knowledge and fortitude to fight the worlds’ biggest companies on your behalf.
We know how stressful and severe truck accident injuries can be. So we’ll take charge of every step of the legal process while you can freely focus on recovery. We’ll conduct a thorough investigation to establish not just your driver’s liability, but evaluate Amazon’s responsibility in the accident too.
Eligibility for Compensation in Amazon Delivery Accidents
If you were injured by an Amazon delivery truck that was on duty, you can seek compensation by filing a claim against the driver’s personal auto insurance coverage or Amazon’s commercial auto coverage if needed.
Here are the types of damages you can seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost earnings
- Lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
Your compensation amount depends on your degree of liability, body of evidence, and severity of injuries and losses. It also depends on the driver and the company’s insurance coverage. Last but not least, it also depends on the strength of your legal representation.
Statute of Limitations in Amazon Delivery Accidents
The statute of limitations is a legal deadline for filing a claim. This deadline varies from state to state. For instance, you have two years to file a claim after an Amazon accident in Texas.
What happens if you miss it? You give up your rights to seek compensation. It’s extremely important to hire a lawyer right away after an accident to take the fastest and most effective legal action.
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I do immediately after being involved in an accident with an Amazon delivery vehicle?
Here are some essential steps you need to take after an accident with an Amazon delivery vehicle:
- Notify the police
- Take pictures and videos of your injuries, damages, and accident scene
- Exchange insurance information
- Get medical attention
- Notify your insurance provider
- Hire an experienced truck accident injury lawyer
How can I ensure my claim is properly filed with Amazon's insurance coverage?
Submit a claim with the driver’s insurance, which you should have received at the scene. You can also get in touch with Amazon’s customer service team to notify them about the accident. Submit an official claim through their system detailing the incident. Present as much evidence as possible to prove their liability and the severity of your injuries and damages.
Share your police accident report, medical records, pictures and videos of your injuries and the accident, along with eyewitness information. The more concrete your documentation is, the more likely your claim will be processed smoothly.
But remember, Amazon and the insurer’s interest is paying you as little as possible on your claim.
Do I need an attorney to handle my Amazon delivery accident claim?
It’s not mandatory to hire an attorney to handle your Amazon delivery accident claim. However, it is usually in your best interest to hire one. Studies show represented people making a personal injury claim on average secure settlements that could be 3-4 times bigger than unrepresented people.
Amazon can take a long time to process your claim and use a lot of tricks to hold you liable and minimize your payout. Their insurance agents can use all kinds of tactics ranging from sweet-talking to intimidation to get what they want. An experienced personal injury attorney will fight for what you need. You can hand over the whole claims process to them and they will ensure none of your rights are violated.
What types of compensation can I seek after an Amazon delivery accident?
Here are the types of compensation you can seek after an Amazon delivery accident:
- Past and projected medical expenses
- Property damage
- Lost earnings and loss of future earning potential
- Physical pain and mental anguish
- Physical impairment
- Loss of consortium (damages to a family relationship caused by an injury)
- Exemplary damages if the driver or company was grossly negligent.
How long do I have to file a claim after an Amazon accident in Texas?
If you want to file a lawsuit against Amazon, or someone driving for Amazon, you must file your suit describing the Amazon truck accident injury within two years of the accident to qualify for seeking compensation. You must also serve the defendant with the suit within those two years, or demonstrate diligence in making service if you can’t serve them within the two year period. This time period is called the statute of limitations.
What happens if I miss the statute of limitations deadline for my claim?
You lose your right to sue the liable party and collect the compensation you deserve.